The project responds to a common challenge of the area, namely the cultural and historical heritage of the cross-border region is not capitalized to its potential value in sustainable cross-border tourism. The cross-border area regions are focused on the development of maritime tourism by neglecting the development and prioritization of alternative tourism such as the cultural and historical tourism. On the other hand, seasonality is a major problem in the tourism industry in both countries, causing low returns on investment, overuse and underuse of facilities in high and low season respectively, as well as seasonal employment of staff and high unemployment subsidizes during the unemployment season. Finally, there is lack of an integrated marketing strategy to increase regional competitiveness as a common tourism product. Promotion remains outdated and there is urgent need for common action to upgrade online marketing.
The overall objective of the project is: “Promoting the Region as a unique destination for cultural Experience and historical tourism” in line with the overall aim of Interreg IPA II CBC program Greece – Albania 2014-2020 which emphasizes the cooperation among local population & regional institutions through encouraging tourism and cultural heritage.
Cultural heritage & historical tourism development implies the use of traditional sources generating income, diversify local products, target broader tourism markets, increase visibility of CBC region & extend season.
To reach this purpose, specific objectives of the project will be:
- Improve the connectivity of cultural and historical heritage sites
- Enhance the skills of local travel stakeholders
- Improve the potential of tourism offer & product diversification
- Reach out & attract potential tourism markets mainly China
- Create new branded touristic products
- Understand Local CBC Tourism Market dynamics
- Link CBC Travel Agents with mainly Chinese Travel agents
- Promote synergies & dialogue with other CBC Projects